Chapter Master – Templars of Righteousness

Web1

I keep finding myself models that I’ll have ‘to go back’ too and revisit because I’m not happy with how they come out the first time.

Again, it was that dreaded, depth of field that I kept getting ‘wrong’ with this model. Maybe I was a little too ambitious too soon with my plans for him; but I wanted to try getting him in focus fully with a few of his men behind him. Of course my light room is a little on the small side for being able to create entire scenes so I may have to invest in a  bigger one, but I think it’s a pretty good piece of kit for the amount that I didn’t pay for it, but maybe it’s just better suited to smaller, single models?

If I revisit this Chapter Master again though, I shall endeavour to try and get both his weapon and his flag in focus, as I am feeling that I’ve not quite done him the justice he deserves – something I am feeling all too often right now.

Advertisements

Chapter Master

IMG_8612

This is my home-brew Space Marine chapters (Blood Guard) Chapter Master model.

And I cheated my hind legs off to get this photograph looking right! This is the overall feel I would like to achieve for my photographs, but I managed to get this looking right thanks to using Photoshop and merging two photographs together – I’d much prefer to be able to do all my tricks and fancy stuff in camera; but I don’t think my current kit is capable of doing it somehow.

This was taken by using my light-room and a spot-light behind my Canon Eos 20D. This set up lit up the whole photograph too much, but I liked how the light hit the model making some interesting contrasting shadows.

So it was a case of having to darken the background without making the model himself too dark – so exposure compensation wasn’t going to do the trick here. Duplicating the layer, setting the new layer to multiply and removing the character from the multiply layer was the only way that I could achieve the look I was going for.

Not ideal when it comes to wanting to be able to create these images in camera – but still something useful to remember for another session in case I don’t get the results I am after originally. Unsuccessful camera sessions do not have to be written off as a loss.

I’ve included the original image below – just to emphasise my point that the original picture didn’t work. There was also some cropping involved – which I am sure is a standard of photo-editing.

original